Why it’s vital to become a good storyteller
Storytelling is an age-old tradition that we have been brought up on since being children. It has been the centre of many celebratory and social events for centuries. Whilst a truly great storyteller is blessed with a unique gift, it is possible for anyone to gain these skills and become competent.
[box]“Everyone loves to hear a good story, but the story is only as good as the storyteller.” TWEET THIS[/box]
Being a good storyteller is a vital part of what we do as entrepreneurs. Why? Well, when we do it well we get people’s attention and we gain their trust. And, when we have this, we make more sales – simple! We all love stories and we can all relate to people through them. So whether you are writing, video blogging or speaking you need to know how to communicate through stories because it’s a better way to engage with your customers and pull them in.
Here are 5 tips for storytelling:
1. Include dialogue. It’s the key to successful story telling as it far more engaging than just telling someone what to do.
2. Act it out and become the person you are telling the story about. Take on their persona, their tone of voice or accent. Put some performance into it. You become more believable. Put yourself in the moment. It’s so powerful.
3. Use your words and paint the scene so you can understand who it is that it’s being told about.
4. Passion – when you’re passionate about something you have something to say and will be more engaging and therefore believable
5. Practice – you know what they say – practice makes perfect so start by writing daily – 1000 words and even better still – video blogging!
In the comments below, let me know your top tips for telling stories. Let me know what action you’ll take as a result of watching and reading this post too. I’d love to hear.
Thank you, as always for watching, reading and contributing here. If you found this useful, please share it with your friends!
With love and gratitude – as always,
Latest posts by JaneFrankland (see all)
- Humans – your weakest link or your strongest shield? - March 1, 2017
- My top 5 breach prevention tips – would these be yours? - February 20, 2017
- Women in cybersecurity: Five hard lessons I learnt in 2016 & why I’m grateful - December 31, 2016